Thursday, March 26, 2009

Working out

I've actually started to enjoy working out. I used to just do because I knew I should but it was usually half-hearted. But, with the classes I've been taking I've discovered, if not a love, a like of working out.

So what do I do?

Kickboxing. Not as regularly as I like. There's a Thursday night class I take and when it works out with Beth (my neighbor I trade babysitting with) or Michael is home, I try to go. I like everything about it except the running.

Zumba. If you've read my other blog you know I love Zumba. So fun. Great cardio workout.

Boot Camp. This is a relatively new class at our fitness center. I've only been able to go twice, and then it was the into/beginner version because it's on nights I can't attend. But, starting in April they're adding a Wednesday morning class that I will be taking. I can't wait. The guy that teaches it was in the Marines. It's a lot of push-ups, jumping jacks, abdominal work, squats, sprints, running laps, step-ups on the bleachers (where we put our left leg on the first bleacher then step up with the right leg dangling down, we sometimes do 50 on each leg. Other times we'll kick out, or to the side), he's had us get a step out then you step on it alternately feet super fast. or bunny hops on it. Ugh. My legs hurt so badly afterwards. It's awesome though. They're things I can do on my own but by myself I'm likely to stop when I start getting tired. Here, I don't want to quit in front of everyone because, well, that would be embarrassing. Again, dislike the running portion. Well, the sprints are too bad. It's the laps I'm not good at. No stamina.

Cardio. I will walk on the treadmill, use the elliptical-like machine. I'm not sure exactly what it's called, but your legs move up and down on a track, so it's like an elliptical, but not quite the same motion. You can change the resistance and slope. I like it. Cardio is the hardest for me. I get bored.

Weights. Sometimes I do my own thing, either with free weights or the machine. Sometimes just upper body, sometimes both upper and lower. I definitely don't work out my lower half on the machines enough. Sometimes lunges and squats. Other times I follow a Biggest Loser circuit training workout. I like that because I feel like I'm working harder than when I do it on my own. I'll do some abdominal work usually, although not a ton. I will also go out to either the bleachers and do step-ups and kicks like in the boot camp class. For recording purposes, all non-cardio will fall under the weights category.

Spinning. I've only done this once but I liked it more than I thought I would. This is one class that you do have to pay for though, so I don't know that I'll do it that often. It was a nice change though.

So, where do you work out? How often? What do you like to do? Do you follow a strict schedule? Do you have a trainer?

No comments: